Getting a new role is very exciting! Leaving your current one, often isn’t. No matter the circumstances, many people are anxious about the prospect of telling their supervisor or colleagues that they are moving on.
Here are a few things you can do, to ease the tension in this process:
1. Resign in person – write a resignation letter but give it to your employer in person. This sign of respect will help you maintain a positive relationship even after you leave the business.
2. Keep your resignation letter short and to the point. There is no reason to go into detail about the reasons!
3. Give an appropriate amount of notice! The business needs time to adjust to their new process and giving all parties to appropriate amount of time to do this is important.
4. Touch base with your team members before you leave! Whilst social media makes it easier to keep into contact with people, taking someone out to coffee or lunch can go a long way in making sure someone feels appreciated. Moving onto a new workplace shouldn’t mean burning your old contacts!
5. Don’t leave a mess behind. Both literally and figuratively. Your desk should be clean, and your work should be in order. The next person who has your role should be able to pick up where you left off with ease.
Contact empire group today to find out more about how you can manage your relationship with your previous employer after we help you get your next new role! Visit empiregroup.com.au or call 07 3231 1200!