- 7-month contract (with possibility of extension)
- Located in Sydney - Pyrmont
- Be a part of making a difference
Our client is seeking suitable candidate for an EL1 Senior Lawyer to be involved in the online safety across Commonwealth governments, authorities and agencies. This position is based in Sydney. There is a potential option to extend the contract further but are at the discretion of the Government Department and depending on performance. This is an opportunity for an experienced and self-motivated Senior Lawyer to play a critical role in reviewing legislation and regulatory frameworks while developing and strengthening cyber safety in this space.
The duties expected of an EL1 Senior Lawyer include:
- Experience in media law with a focus on digital content and social media to produce high level briefs, reports and other responses to government bodies regarding online safety
- Compliance with relevant legislation and policy frameworks including the development of policies, best practice procedures/guidelines and other material
- Interpret and apply relevant legislation
- produce high level briefs, responses to government and other reports on a broad range of new and emerging online safety initiatives
- apply critical thinking and research analysis
- advise on highly complex or sensitive complaints where necessary
- engage and collaborate with representatives from key internal and external stakeholder groups in an informed, strategic and persuasive manner to build relationships, raise awareness while managing expectations and sensitivities
- Advise (verbally and written) on areas of administrative law; contract and privacy laws; intellectual property law; FOI and criminal matters for online safety
- Negotiate on key issues
To be suitable for this opportunity, you will need solid experience and understanding of complex online safety issues and the relevant law associated with this space including contract, IP, administrative, criminal and privacy. You will need to demonstrate a good ability in statutory interpretation.
As a person, you will need:
- Strong public policy and regulatory skills;
- Experience with online safety issues
- Ability to confidently and effectively communicate messages in a clear, concise and articulate manner
- personal drive and initiative;
- strong analytical skills;
- ability to work and deliver on multiple projects
- an ability to work well within a team;
- ability to prioritise and work autonomously.
An ability to communicate (both written and verbal) well with both internal and external stakeholders will be essential, together with an ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
You will also need to uphold the values of the client.
Applicants also must be able to establish their background as checkable to be considered eligible for a security clearance. This includes:
- hold Australian citizenship
- be willing to undergo an Australian Federal Police check
- be willing and eligible to obtain a security clearance to the level applicable to the position.
For a confidential discussion regarding this role or to explore other career opportunities please contact:
Ref No: RM20296
Phone: (07) 3231 1207
Applications close 3 March 2021. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.